Bio-profile of Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar
(print quality photo)
Dr. S. Jaishankar assumed his responsibilities as Ambassador of India to the United States in December 2013.
Dr. Jaishankar comes to Washington, DC with more than three decades of diplomatic experience. Joining the Indian Foreign Service in 1977, Dr. Jaishankar has represented India's interests and fostered friendly working relationships in countries around the world.
Dr. Jaishankar's first postings abroad were as Third and Second Secretary (Political) at the Embassy of India in Moscow from 1979 to 1981. From 1981 to 1985, he served as Under Secretary (Americas) and Policy Planning in the Ministry of External Affairs. He then spent three years from 1985 to 1988 as First Secretary handling political affairs at the Indian Embassy in Washington, DC, followed by two years as First Secretary and Political Advisor to the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) in Sri Lanka.
In 1990, Dr. Jaishankar became Commercial Counsellor in Budapest. After three years in that position, he returned to India where he served first as Director of East Europe Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, and then as Press Secretary for the President of India. Following this service in India, Dr. Jaishankar went abroad again - to Tokyo in 1996 as Deputy Chief of Mission. In the year 2000, he was appointed the Ambassador of India to Czech Republic and served in Prague till 2004.
Upon completing his time as Ambassador in Prague, Dr. Jaishankar returned once again to India, where he led the Americas Division in the Ministry of External Affairs. After three years heading the division, he again left India in 2007 to serve as High Commissioner to Singapore for two years. Most recently, Dr. Jaishankar was the Ambassador of India to China from 2009 to 2013.
Dr. Jaishankar holds a Ph.D. and M.Phil in International Relations and a M.A. in Political Science. He is a member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London.
Dr. Jaishankar is married to Kyoko Jaishankar and has two sons and a daughter.
- All India Radio FM Gold - 'India Global', a programme focusing on India's relations with other countries - Interview of India's Ambassador to the United States of America, Dr. S. Jaishankar, features in the latest programme on USA
- Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar's interview in Huffington Post (Dec 8, 2014)
- Speech of Ambassador Dr. Jaishankar on the occasion of Diwali celebration hosted by Governor Of Maryland Martin O'Malley in Annapolis, MD on October 29, 2014 (Oct 29, 2014)
- Remarks by Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar at the launch of the book - "REIMAGINING INDIA: UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF ASIA'S NEXT SUPER POWER" at the Brookings Institution on April 29, 2014
- Speech by Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar at the Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, MA on April 17, 2014 - India and the United States : The Long View
- Press Release - Ambassador Dr Subrahmanyam Jaishankar presented his credentials to U. S. President Mr. Barack H. Obama on March 10, 2014
- Speech by Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Chicago on February 28, 2014
- Speech followed by Q& A session by Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar on U.S.- India Relations at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace on January 29, 2014.
- Speech by Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar on U.S.- India Relations at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace on January 29, 2014.